Wednesday, April 9, 2014

4/9/14

I want to apologize for how late the publication of this blog post is, this past weekend I had personal things, including being sick, interfere with posting. In addition, I am sad to say that past Friday (1/4/14) was the last field day for this internship. I cannot believe how quickly the time has past and that this Saturday is the Lemonade Lecture already! April has just flown on by and I am not sure I am ready to be finished with this internship, but all’s well that ends well!
           
            On Wednesday I knocked out a majority of the Union Cemetery Inscription, allowing for only the recently accounted for burials needing to be inputted into the word document. It is a massive cemetery and seeing the 25 pages of names that need to be compiled into the master inscription document appears to be a somewhat daunting task, but I look forward to the feeling of relief I will encounter once I have tackled it.
One of several broken in crypts
      Timing was apropos for I worked on Union/Orange Baker Cemetery Inscription on Wednesday and then one of the first cemeteries we visited on Friday was Union/ Orange baker. My boss has told me how disarray and saddening it is, but nothing can truly prepare you for the sadness that clings to the air. Since this is an African American Cemetery, it is sad to see the state of the cemetery from vandalism to mournful homemade headstones. I’ve seen previous acts of vandalism with obelisks pushed over and headstones broken, but it pales in comparison to Union where actual vaults were broken into and the way to rectify it is by placing plywood on top. However, it is quite evident that the plywood is quite old and is being used as a more permanent fix then it should be. It is maddening to see the state this cemetery is in, when there are so many people buried here. However, there is something sadder then the acts of vandalism-it is the handmade burial markers which include cinder blocks and wood outlining. It is obvious the loved ones of whoever is buried there could only afford those items instead of the ornate granite or marble headstones, it’s so sad that money becomes such a force even in times of despair. I admire that there are people who decided to build something, instead of leaving just a funereal home marker, which will erode away or become lost quite quickly. It just made my heart so heavy to see that Cemetery, and even now it is the saddest and most desolate of cemeteries that I have encountered my entire internship. Union Cemetery is interesting just with the size of it, but the sorrow that permeates throughout cannot be missed nor ignored. 
           
            We also visited Beresford Cemetery, which was in the middle of this clearing just along the side of the road. It was very picturesque and it had a fascinating headstone that was a gigantic black rock. I found it to be so raw and unusual that I think it might be one of my favorite headstones that I have seen. After seeing Union Cemetery and then visiting this one, there was an obvious difference in regards to the upkeep of the cemetery. Which I find horrible, I wish that all cemeteries were all well taken care for and pleasing to visit like Oakdale or Beresford Cemetery. However, life does not work like that and that is why creating awareness in preservation is key: so cemeteries like Union can receive the care and treatment it truly deserves.




            I’ll wrap up this blog for now seeing as I need to start preparing for the Lemonade Lecture on Saturday and wrap up the few loose ends that are still left for me. I know in the last few posts I keep mentioning how I am amazed about how quickly time has gone by, but I feel cannot truly express how shocked I am by it. I have learned a lot from this internship and I am excited to see what all I take with me in regards to graduate school and future jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment